Monday 27 July 2015

Six Days

This is it, six days to go. Six days before I climb 1,400 ft (edited as I CnP'd wrongly, thanks W00hoo!) over 100 miles before collapsing in a heap in the Mall!

That’s if I finish.

Long view on the weather is either cloud or sun but to be honest I could be a meteorologist sometimes as I predict that there will be a possibility of sun, wind and rain but a lesser chance of snow as this is Southern England at the beginning of August.

I will be staying in Wapping before heading out at around sunrise to head north to the Olympic park, where helpfully I am on the other side of the start positions to the north east of the park in the green zone.


At 07.54am, I will join 25,000 other lunatics riders, I will head thorough the City into Westminster, Kensington, Richmond Park, Kingston, Hampton Court past my dad having his breakfast at Martin’s cafĂ©, Walton, Weybridge, West Byfleet then Pyrford.

After Ripley, comes Horsley, Clandon then the first real climb with Newlands and the first real descent the other side. Turn at Sutton Abigner and a gentle climb into the lovely Holmbury St Mary before dropping again then a sharp ramp to Leith Hill.

Here I will cough out my other lung - which will hunt down its sinister twin left there on previous training rides - before the fast descent back to the A25 after a surprisingly annoying ramp. Right towards Westcott hitting 40-odd mph before Dorking then Box Hill. Slip into something comfortable and spin the way up the zig zags before descending again through Headley hoping not to crash on the fast left/right turn. Up into Leatherhead, struggle past the Bear, through Oxshott and bomb down to the A3. Through Esher, wave at dad if he’s at the Scilly Isles, resist temptation to turn into my road go indoors and have a lie down, Kingston, up the nasty Coombe Lane (not as nasty as its namesake but deceptively naughty when you’ve hit 85 miles or so in a ride) and the newly surfaced Worple Road.

Hope a mate has bought a beer out from the Alex, wish they hadn’t as I struggle up Wimbledon Hill, regain composure though the Common then downhill through Putney, Kings Road, Embankment, to be met by my wife and daughter somewhere past the secure zone in the Mall.

Since the turn of the year, I have (lost Strava details and short trips notwithstanding) ridden 3,500 miles, spent 244 hours and 21 minutes in the saddle and climbed 66,056 feet over 232 rides. 

I have had one service, one new chain, one cassette change and two new wheels thanks to the stars at Specialized Kingston who have had to put up with an impatient, often-confused man through these months.

I have bought shorts, lycra tops, gloves, panniers, CO2 pumps, cleaners, helmets, oil, grease, tools, socks, buffs, pumps and bottles.

I have lost around two stone in weight, I have something I believe are called muscles forming on the former continental fat shelf that was my belly.

I am no Captain Marvel by any means, but in six days’ time, I will be donning the orange, white and black of the MS Society and ride out to do something that eight months ago, I would have scoffed at if you said I would be doing Ride London.  


Please hit the button below and sponsor me or tell your friends to do so and feel free to follow my progress on the Ride London site this Sunday.

My name is Simon Miller, my rider number is 36927, I am riding because a friend suffers from MS. I am riding because MS sufferer John Hicklenton decided to make a choice in Switzerland.

I am riding because others cannot.



JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, it only feels like 1,318km of climbing.

    ReplyDelete